Weed Free Hay & Forage
There is a growing demand in North America for the use of certified weed seed free forage and mulch as a preventative program in Integrated Weed Management Systems to limit the spread of noxious weeds. The goal of this program is to provide a guideline to set minimum requirements for uniform participation of the various states in the program.
MCIA offers weed seed free hay & forage certification under the standards developed by the North American Invasive Species Management Association (NAISMA). These standards are designed to:
- provide some assurance to all participants that forage certified through this program meets a minimum acceptable standard.
- provide continuity between the various states in the program.
- limit the spread of noxious weeds through forage and mulch.
How Do I Know I’m Buying Certified Forage?
After the field is inspected, the producer will receive a “Certificate of Inspection.” When the forage is transported, you will receive a “Transit Certificate” from a representative in your state and/or the forage will carry a certification tag or colored twine.
Who Should Purchase and Promote Certified Forage?
- Producers and consumers committed to weed management and keeping their land free of noxious weeds.
- Forage buyers that transport forage products across county, state and national boundaries where restrictions are in effect.
- Recreationists, hunters, sportspersons and outfitters using livestock on private, state or federal lands where restrictions are in effect.
- Federal and state agencies feeding wildlife and livestock on private, state or federal lands and/or initiating revegetation projects.
Click on the link below to access the NAISMA Weed Free Forage Standards: